- About Us
- Current Students
- Prospective Students
- Contact Info
- Degree Programs
- Prospective Students
- Career Information
- Senior Design
- Travel Award
- Industry Central
- Careers and Internships
Assistant, Associate or Full Professor of Bioengineering
Assistant Professor level, please refer to the links below:
- Epigenetics and Genomics
- Informatics and Systems Medicine
- Devices, and Imaging
- Bioethics and Biopolicy
Associate or Full Professor level, please refer to the links below:
The Department of Bioengineering (http//www.be.ucsd.edu) in the Jacobs School of Engineering at the University of California, San Diego is inviting applications for positions at the Assistant Professor level and in exceptional cases also at the Associate Professor or Full Professor levels (one or more tenure track or tenured faculty positions).
A PhD or advancement to candidacy in bioengineering or related engineering disciplines is required for these positions. Successful applicants will be expected to teach undergraduate courses in UCSD’s Bioengineering, Biotech and/or BioSystems Engineering Major tracks and graduate courses in Bioengineering, establish a vigorous program of high-quality federally funded bioengineering research that focuses on approaches to biological complexity, understanding the design principles and developing engineering models of living systems, design and use of next generation imaging and/or biosensors for clinical applications, experimental investigations of dynamics of living systems, integration across multiple scales from molecule to organism, and/or engineering applications relevant to clinical and/or translational regenerative medicine. We are expecting to recruit exceptional individuals to maintain preeminence in the development of engineering sciences, methods and instrumentation with:
- Expertise and engineering background in genomic technologies, molecular, nuclear, cellular, organismal and physiological analysis and design, functional biomechanics and systems analysis;
- A strong research interest in bringing engineering approaches to human diseases and innovative solutions to clinical problems; and
- The ability to develop synergistic interactions with researchers in the School of Medicine, related UCSD departments, Scripps Institute of Oceanography, and neighboring institutions.
Successful applicants will complement expertise in the Department of Bioengineering and will help synergize design efforts on campus.
The Bioengineering Department within the Jacobs School of Engineering at UC San Diego is committed to building a diverse and inclusive faculty, staff and student body (http://www.jacobsschool.ucsd.
The Department of Bioengineering enjoys close collaboration with the School of Medicine and Divisions of Biological and Physical Sciences.
The level of appointment and salary is commensurate with qualifications and based on UC pay schedules.
Applicants are asked to submit materials on-line at https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/
For applicants with interest in spousal/partner employment, please see http://academicaffairs.ucsd.
The University of California, San Diego has made an unprecedented commitment to advance human health by applying computational biology to analyze big data in biomedical research. The University of California, San Diego invites applications from outstanding candidates for up to five separate searches for TENURE TRACK or TENURED FACULTY POSITIONS. These positions are part of a bold multi-discipline, multi-year initiative that spans the entire University. Each appointment will be made jointly between at least two departments from across the campus in order to facilitate collaborations in new inter-disciplinary fields. They include Health Science (School of Medicine and SKAGGS School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences), The Jacobs School of Engineering, the Divisions of Physical Sciences, Biology, Social Sciences, and Arts and Humanities, The Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO), and The School of Global Policy and Strategy. The initiative in precision medicine seeks to transform medicine through advances in omic-scale diagnosis, therapy, engineering and computer science, imaging and data integration that enable insights into disease mechanisms. Appointments generally will be at the Assistant or Associate Professorial level and in exceptional cases at the very early Professorial level. The University of California, San Diego, is committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body.
There will be five separate areas within the overall initiative:
- Epigenetics and Genomics;
- Informatics and Systems Medicine;
- Sensors, Devices, and Imaging; and
- Bioethics and Biopolicy.
Candidates may submit an application to one or more of these areas.
Successful applicants will be expected to teach both graduate and undergraduate students in the participating departments and establish a vigorous program of high-quality federally funded research that focuses on innovative approaches in one of the targeted areas. These may include, but are not limited to:
- engineering, computer science and computational approaches to biological complexity and challenging biomedical problems;
- integration of multi-omics data across multiple scales from molecule to organism for deciphering disease mechanisms and improving treatment;
- soft-robotics and other engineering applications relevant to clinical and/or translational medicine;
- next generation computational and engineering approaches to personalized medical diagnosis and treatment;
- application of systems medicine approaches, experimental investigations and development of new understanding of the design principles of living systems;
- quantitative pharmacology;
- biomedical innovation and regulatory policy, ethical implications of the biomedical revolution and related policy issues in these areas.
Successful applicants will complement exceptional expertise in multiple areas at UC San Diego, including cardiovascular disease, obesity and metabolic disease, cancer, aging, degenerative diseases, autoimmune diseases, infections, inflammation, and will help synergize translational design efforts. Candidates must have a PhD, MD or equivalent in the area of interest.
The preferred candidate will have demonstrated strong leadership or a commitment to support diversity, equity, and inclusion in an academic setting.
The level of appointment and salary is commensurate with qualifications and based on UC pay schedules. Review of applications will begin on August 24, 2015 and continue until positions are filled.
Applications must be submitted through the On-line Application System, RECRUIT. Candidates may submit an application to one or more of these areas.
Required materials are: (1) a cover letter, (2) C.V. with list of publications, (3) list of professional references, (4) a statement summarizing research interests and teaching experience especially at the undergraduate level, (5) a separate statement describing past experience in activities that promote diversity and inclusion and/or plans to make future contributions, and (6) three PDF copies of the most significant publications (not required for Bioethics and Biopolicy search). For further information about contributions to diversity statements, see http://facultyequity.ucsd.edu/Faculty-Applicant-C2D-Info.asp.
Applications at the Assistant Professor level, please refer to the links below:
- Epigenetics and Genomics; https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF00840
- Informatics and Systems Medicine; https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF00838
- Microbiome; https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF00839
- Devices, and Imaging; https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF00841
- Bioethics and Biopolicy: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF00837
Applications at the Associate or Full Professor level, please refer to the links below:
- Epigenetics and Genomics; https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF00810
- Informatics and Systems Medicine; https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF00829
- Microbiome; https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF00831
- Sensors, Devices, and Imaging; https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF00832
- Bioethics and Biopolicy: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF00830
For applicants with interest in spousal/partner employment, please see http://academicaffairs.ucsd.edu/aps/partneropp/index.html for the UC San Diego Partner Opportunities Program.
Please direct inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
UC San Diego is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity.