On To PhD

Upon completion of the requirements for the M.S. degree, students are not automatically eligible for admission to the Ph.D. program. M.S. candidates who wish to pursue a doctorate must submit an application for a change in status to the Committee on Graduate Affairs. The application must be approved and signed by a Bioengineering faculty member who expects to serve as the student’s Ph.D. advisor. An ad hoc faculty committee will review petitions. If the committee recommends that the student has good potential for success in the doctoral program, the student will be given the opportunity to take an oral examination equivalent to the Ph.D. Departmental Qualifying Examination. At the time of that exam, an assessment will be made on admission to the Ph.D. program. A change of status from a master's program to the doctoral program requires that the student meet the minimum grade point average required by the department of doctoral candidates.